We’re excited for our Festival & Conference in October, but if this season has made us aware of anything – it’s that we don’t want to wait. Launching this Wednesday, we’ve created a virtual experience not only to help you dive deeper into your writing, but to help us all stay connected through story.
We know it’s not quite the same as mingling in the Driskill Hotel bar, but it will have to do for now.
For each theme, we’ll provide five actions to help you develop one element of story. We encourage you to reach out to your fellow writers (not literally!) and commit to doing this together. Get ready to:
- LISTEN → We’ll be releasing new audio on the theme from past Austin Film Festival panels featuring incredible guests.
- LEARN → What questions come up as you listen? What questions do you have on the theme? Send ‘em our way and we’ll let you be ‘virtual’ moderator as a featured creator answers them each week. Questions can be sent through twitter using #AFFatHOME or submit through the AFF at Home page each week.
- WATCH → Get that virtual movie club going! We’ll send you a list of on-theme movies available online (some you may never have heard of!) and provide you with curated questions and content to help you go deeper in your love for story.
- WRITE → Each week we’ll give you a writing activity on the theme. We know writing can be an isolating experience at the best of times, but why not grab a few friends and set a writing date? Get together virtually and write together/apart. Let us be your accountability partner in this experience!
- CONNECT → Follow along on our social media channels – use #AFFatHOME to share what you are working on, ask questions, and connect with fellow screenwriters.
Reigniting Your Spark
Here’s a little something to get you started! To kick-off our new series we’re bringing you audio from Austin Film Festival’s 2019 Opening Remarks. Screenwriter Ed Solomon (Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure, Men in Black, HBO’s Mosaic) joined our staff to discuss sparking your story by examining the writers mindset and how to free yourself from misconceptions and obstacles that can prevent you from future opportunities.