Apply to be a Volunteer!
Check out some of our volunteer positions!
Reports to: Production Manager
Dates: Must attend the Volunteer Training Sessions, QC at least 6 hours of films along with a commitment to at least 4 shifts of projection and be available during the week of October 24th through October 31, 2019
Compensation: Festival Pass/Badge, dependent upon working shifts
Overall Job Description: The projectionist would be responsible for the successful presentation of films throughout the week of the Festival. Additional duties include quality checking films and conducting technical checks.
– Must have some experience with digital projection.
– Strong technical knowledge.
– Working knowledge of digital formats.
– Working knowledge of standard film aspect ratios.
– Excellent communication skills.
– Excellent interpersonal skills.
– Patience and ability to remain calm under pressure.
– Projecting digital film files to their utmost quality and monitoring the entire presentation from start to finish, ensuring said quality throughout the screening.
– Conducting pre-screening technical checks with filmmakers to ensure outstanding picture and audio quality.
– Attending equipment tests and installs at AFF venues.
– Quality checking films at the AFF office in the weeks leading up to the Festival.
– Communicating with the Festival Production Manager throughout the Festival and providing quality communication and professional service to our Festival filmmakers.
How to Contact Us:
Email your resume, along with references and a cover letter, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
** All submissions must include references and a cover letter**
POSITION: Theater Manager
DEPARTMENT: Film Department
HIRE DATES: Sept. 20 – October 31
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Theater Operations Manager
WORKS WITH: Film Department Staff
COMPENSATION: A Weekend Badge for new Theater Managers (with the ability to work hours prior to the Festival for a higher level badge); A Producer’s Badge for returning Theater Managers.
POSITIONS AVAILABLE: ~25
OVERALL JOB DESCRIPTION:
While working for this critically recognized organization, applicants are expected to work efficiently and professionally in a fast paced, team-oriented environment. Excellent communication and organizational skills and the ability to work well under pressure are a must.
The Theater Manager is responsible for managing a team of AFF volunteers, executing all AFF line and Front of House policies in an orderly and timely manner, ensuring crowd control and a smooth screening.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage a team of theater volunteers, delegating tasks to them and ensuring they conduct their tasks correctly
- Ensure crowd control
- Ensure screening remains on schedule by anticipating large crowds, handing out queue cards well in advance, communicating with staff on site, and keeping volunteers on task
- Understand and adhere to all AFF line policies
- Act as point person for moderator when they arrive, giving them all necessary script materials.
- Guarantee all sponsorship materials are passed out or set up correctly at venue
- Communicate any problems to Theater Operations Manager, Production Manager, or on site AFF staff
- Attend 2 Theater Manager trainings with the Theater Operations Manager
- Transport venue box and all necessary Front of House materials to Theater
- Maintain and organize the venue box throughout the festival
- Send advance emails/texts to daily theater team, reminding them of their shift responsibilities, and giving them any necessary updates
Shifts will be scheduled in advance for the week of the festival. Prior to the week of the festival, two mandatory trainings and a walk-through of the assigned venue must be attended. The walkthroughs will be scheduled two weeks before the festival.
The mandatory dates are scheduled below:
- Training Orientation 1 (AFF Office – 1801 Salina St): TBD
- Training Orientation 2 (AFF Office – 1801 Salina St): TBD
- Festival Dates: Thursday, October 24th – Thursday, October 31st
Experience in team leadership
Excellent time management
Ability to communicate effectively to a team
Can accept straightforward direction and instruction
Outgoing and can confidently and clearly present information to an audience of 1,100 with no reservations
Responds to phone calls, texts, and emails promptly and professionally
Knowledge of performance, theater, and or film venues (especially front of house)
Excellent interpersonal skills
Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
Ability to handle stressful situations and act professionally at all times
Great writing and editing skills in regards to grammar, spelling, and vocabulary
Must be able to lift 25 lbs.
Consistently takes initiative
Is always punctual, preferably early
Prior film festival experience
Prior customer service experience
Please send Cover Letter, Resume, and References to:
Theater Operations Manager
HOW WE SAY THANK YOU TO VOLUNTEERS:
- Film Pass 10 hours
- Lone Star Badge 25 hours
- Weekend Badge 40 hours
- Conference Badge 62 hours
- Producers Badge 90 hours