Scripted Digital Series
- Submissions must be accompanied by a $35 (early deadline), $40 (regular deadline), or $45 (late deadline) submission fee PER ENTRY and a completed online entry form
- Once an entry payment has been processed we cannot provide a refund. If a payment is disputed, the account holder may be subject to any fees.
- Submissions must be the original work of the applicant(s). Neither the Festival nor its jurists investigates or attests to the authenticity of an applicant’s statement of authorship or rights.
- Applicants may submit both filmed episodes and scripted episodes of their series, but each will require a separate application and payment.
- If a submission involves two or more writers as applicants, the monetary prize and any reimbursements will be divided equally among them and only one Typewriter Award will be provided.
- Awards are based on overall merit of the entries. Judges reserve the right not to grant an award.
- Entrants that advance to the Semifinalist level will be asked to provide a treatment of their vision for the series and how subsequent episodes will unfold.
Produced Series Rules
- Applicants can submit 1-3 filmed episodes, totaling no more than 30 minutes in length. Episodes must all be located within the same video file or URL.
- Filmed series must be submitted as an online screener and be available for screening as an H.264 digital file. Please note: we do NOT screen Blu-Ray, HD-CAM, or DCP when considering films for our competition. If you are unable or unwilling to provide us your film as a digital file, do not submit your film.
- Series must have been completed after January 1, 2016. Series must be available for screening during the Austin Film Festival, October 25-November 2, 2017
- Series produced, financed, initiated, or hosted by major studios, companies, or networks are ineligible for competition.
- Series that have played in Austin in a theatrical setting to a public audience prior to October 26, 2017 are not eligible to be screened at the Austin Film Festival.
Scripted Series Rules
- Applicant can submit 1-3 scripted episodes, totaling no more than 30 pages in length. Each script must be submitted as part of the same PDF file.
- The Scripted Digital Series Competition is only open to writers who do not earn a living writing for film or television.
- Digital series scripts must not have been optioned or sold prior to October 28, 2017.
- Scripts that have previously reached the Semifinalist level and beyond within the Scripted Digital Series Competition or Screenplay & Teleplay Competition are not eligible for submission.
- No revisions or missing pages will be accepted once entry has been received.
- We strongly suggest that applicants register or copyright their screenplays/teleplays with the Writers Guild of America, East or Writers Guild of America, West.
- Digital series scripts must be 3-30 pages in length.
- Scripts should be formatted according to current industry standards.
- Font size must be 12 point and in Courier type.
- Pages must be numbered in the top right-hand corner.
- Scripts must be in PDF format under 5MB.
- Only the TITLE of the screenplay should appear on the front cover page.
- The author’s name must not appear anywhere in the script in order to preserve anonymity in the judging process.
Returns & Acknowledgements
Please send a screening copy of the film in DVD, playable on standard DVD players (not a data disk with a file of the movie). The disk maybe either NTSC (preferred) or PAL, but please check the disk before sending it. DO NOT send press kits or fancy cases (we just throw those away). DO send your synopsis and, if desired, a cover letter introducing you/your film. DVDs will not be returned under any circumstances. Include a self-addressed, stamped postcard for each submission if you wish acknowledgment of the receipt of your entry.