Jurors & Judges
2018 Fiction Podcast Script Judges
- Chris Bannon, chief content officer for Stitcher and its growing network of original shows including hit podcasts HEAVEN’S GATE, KATIE COURIC, LEVAR BURTON READS and WOLVERINE: THE LONG NIGHT
- John Dryden, creator of the hit BBC podcast TUMANBAY and Peabody-winning writer/director of audio drama
- Jocelyn Gonzales, executive producer, STUDIO 360
- Lauren Shippen, writer/creator THE BRIGHT SESSIONS, Since its debut in November of 2015, the podcast has won numerous awards, and was named iTunes Best of 2016. Lauren was named one of Forbes 30 Under 30 in Media for 2018
- Tim Street, Vice President, Influence & Production, Authentic
2018 Film Jurors
We’re proud to begin sharing our list of exciting jurors! Submit to the competition and have your films viewed by industry insiders. This year we have judges from NBCUniversal, Showtime, Pixar, Roadside Attractions, Gunpowder & Sky and many others. We will begin announcing jurors in our newsletter so keep an eye out!
Juror Spotlights – Narrative Feature
Stay tuned for more juror announcements and submit today to throw your hat into the ring!
2018 Screenplay & Teleplay Judges
We are proud to have the following sponsors who will be participating as official judges for the 2018 Competition:
Comedy Screenplay Award presented by Sony Pictures Animation
The studio behind Hotel Transylvania 2 and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs will supply a representative to judge for the Semifinalist round of the Comedy category and one Sony screenwriter to join our panel of judges to evaluate the Finalists. Entries in this category are open to all genres of comedy and do not need to be exclusively animated scripts.
Drama Screenplay Award presented by the Writers Guild of America, East
Drama Finalist scripts will be judged by a select panel of WGAE screenwriters and the winner will be presented by a WGAE representative at the Awards Luncheon. This year’s judges include Matthew Chapman, Sabrina Dhawan, and Jim Strouse.
Scripted Digital Series Competition Presented by Stage 13
AFF is excited to partner this year with Stage 13! The company is a fearless original digital content brand, showcasing a new generation of talent and fresh creative voices, creating dynamic, unapologetic scripted and unscripted short-form series. Stage 13 will help choose the winner of the competition and, schedules permitting, will meet with each Finalist during or after the Festival.
Enderby Entertainment Award
Co-founded by Rick Dugdale and Daniel Petrie, Jr. (Beverly Hills Cop, The Big Easy), the production company acquired the 2008 AFF Finalist script Stranded (now titled Dawn Patrol). The film stars Scott Eastwood and Rita Wilson and was directed by Petrie. AFF proudly presented the world premiere of Dawn Patrol at the 2014 Festival. The Enderby Entertainment Award category is open to feature scripts in all genres with an original concept and distinctive voice that can be independently produced under $10 million.
AMC One-Hour Pilot Award
AMC returns as the official sponsor and judge for the Drama Teleplay Pilot Award for the sixth year in a row. They will review the top scripts submitted in the category and will determine the Finalists and Winner. Finalists will be given the opportunity to meet with a representative from AMC during this year’s Festival and Conference or over the phone at a later date.
2018 SCRIPT COMPETITION JUDGES
We’re excited to announce the first group of confirmed judges who will be tasked with evaluating this year’s top scripts. Past entrants have signed with major agencies and had their scripts optioned, acquired and produced by signatory production companies. AFF judges include professional writers and representatives from major studios and companies. Here’s the first wave of confirmed judges:
- Angelina Chen – Manager, Energy Entertainment
- Evan J. Cholfin – Head of Development and Production, Stories International, Inc.
- Lloyd Chrein – President, Chrein.com LLC
- Aaron Cruze – Producer, Cruze & Company
- Ryan Cunninghan – Literary Manager and Producer, Madhouse Entertainment
- Andrea Dimity – Producer and Literary Manager, Pannon Entertainment, Inc.
- Jay Wade Edwards – Producer/Editor, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Squidbillies, Space Ghost Coast to Coast
- Anna Flickinger – Motion Picture Literary Coordinator, United Talent Agency
- Daniela Garcia-Brcek – Literary Manager, Circle of Confusion
- Lindsay Goffman – Co-Executive Producer, The Good Doctor
- Adam Kolbrenner – Co-President/Founder, Madhouse Entertainment
- Kathryn Lyn – Independent Producer
- Chayah Masters – Producer, Rumination Films LLC
- Casey Minella – Film Coordinator, Circle of Confusion
- Noreen O’Toole – Associate Producer, Westworld
- Hannah Ozer – Manager, Kaplan Perrone Entertainment
- Darren Passarello – Agents of Mayhem
- Joe Pirro – Head of Production, Symbolic Exchange
- Jeff Portnoy – Literary Manager, Bellevue Productions
- Brian Price – Creative Executive, Village Roadshow Pictures
- Mariel Redlin – Coordinator, Automatik
- Joyce San Pedro – Producer, Caterpillar Entertainment
- Ryan Saul – VP of Motion Picture Literary, APA
- Chad Snopek – Manager and Producer, Chad Snopek Management
- Fred Strype – Producer, Raindance Pictures
- Matt Sullivan – Head of Story Dept, Paradigm Agency
- Conrad Sun – Manager, Meridian Artists
- Ray Utarnachitt – Supervising Producer, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow
- Rebecca Windsor – Director, Television Workshop, Warner Bros. Television