In-line with Austin Film Festival’s mission, to enable writers to develop their craft, the Capri Fellowship provides a place where writers can find their voice and tell the stories they want to tell. The winner of the Drama Feature Screenplay Award will be provided the opportunity to stay at the Capri Residency in Marfa, Texas!
What is Marfa?
Marfa is a tiny town in West Texas known for two things: innovative art and mysterious lights. Originally founded in the early 1880s as a railroad water stop,
it is now a cultural gem nestled in the West Texas desert. Its shops, restaurants, and exhibits bring people from all over to experience the unique charm this art oasis has to offer.
- After you win your big AFF prize, we’ll connect you to the great team
- You can schedule your 2 week stay within 1 year (between November 2020- December 2021) following your win.
- AFF will provide a $1,000 reimbursement for the chosen entry to help with all those extra expenses.
- The closest airport to Marfa is El Paso so you may need to rent a car. Luckily, the Texas deserts are a beautiful sight to see.
- Once you’re in Marfa, the residency will provide a bicycle to help get
around this unique town.
- Pack accordingly! Marfa is in the desert and can get very cold at night and hot during the day.
From a Drama Feature Screenplay Winner:
“Marfa. There’s just something special about it. A bit off the beaten path. A bit of effort required to get there. But long after you’ve left, you find yourself thinking about going back…The simplicity prevented distraction. My productivity begot even more productivity….If food, art, and goats don’t inspire you, then a sky full of stars surely will. Away from the city lights, my midnight star walks provided silence, stillness, and introspection.”
–Caroline Hopkins, 2017 Drama Feature Screenplay Winner