Teleplay Competition & TV Programming
Original pilot scripts have joined the traditional spec script as the principal currency for staffing television shows. Whether you’ve got the funniest Curb Your Enthusiasm spec script Larry David never wrote or the next great procedural that’s sure to impress Bones creator Hart Hanson, you won’t get noticed unless you submit.
Left: “Everybody Loves Raymond” creator Phil Rosenthal at the premiere of his film EXPORTING RAYMOND
Some of the new exclusive opportunities we’ll provide to advancing writers in this year’s teleplay competition include:
A Special Roundtable Workshop Session for the Sitcom Pilot Winner
For the first time, we are very excited to offer the 2012 Sitcom Pilot winner the invaluable opportunity to have his or her winning pilot read aloud and workshopped during a special Roundtable Session. These roundtables are popular and famous in Hollywood for punching up the story and comedy of a script with a team of professional writers. Whatever jokes or changes the pros throw out, the winning writer will be able to cherry-pick those they think might be helpful to his or her script.
Just some of the industry pros on board to run the roundtable include:
- Alec Berg, writer THE DICTATOR, EUROTRIP, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Late Night with Conan O’Brien, Seinfeld
- Kell Cahoon, writer/producer The Larry Sanders Show, Newsradio, Just Shoot Me, King of the Hill, Method and Red, and Psych
- Etan Cohen, writer MEN IN BLACK III, TROPIC THUNDER, IDIOCRACY, King of the Hill, Beavis and Butt-Head
- Jay Wade Edwards, television producer and editor Aqua Teen Hunger Force
- Chris Kelly, writer Cartoon Network’s Adult Swim: Squidbillies, Stroker & Hoop, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law
- Jeff Lowell, writer/producer Inside Schwartz, Just Shoot Me!, Spin City, Cybill
- Tim Talbott, writer South Park
Lunch with TV Industry Pros
From this year’s pool of Second Rounders (top 10%) in the teleplay competition, we’ll randomly select a group of lucky winners to have lunch with these TV industry pros during the Conference*.
- Phil Rosenthal (writer/director EXPORTING RAYMOND, creator/executive producer Everybody Loves Raymond, Coach, Down the Shore) will have lunch with 5 Second Rounders in the Sitcom Pilot category
- Hilary Winston (writer/producer Happy Endings, Community, My Name is Earl) will have lunch with 5 Second Rounders in the Sitcom Spec category
Submit today and if your script advances, you’ll be entered to win this invaluable opportunity to pick the brains of these industry pros. And… AFF will pick up the tab!
*Only Second Rounders registered for the Conference will be eligible for this opportunity
Some of this year’s TV panelists confirmed for the 2012 Conference include:
- Jane Francis, Senior Vice President of Creative Affairs, Fox 21
- Matthew Gross, Gross Entertainment
- Barry Josephson, Josephson Entertainment
- Kyle Killen, creator/producer Awake, Lonestar, writer THE BEAVER
- Peter Murrieta, head writer/executive producer Wizards of Waverly Place, Hope & Faith
- Marti Noxon, writer/producer Glee, Mad Men, Private Practice, Grey’s Anatomy
- Phil Rosenthal, writer/director EXPORTING RAYMOND, creator/executive producer Everybody Loves Raymond, Coach, Down the Shore
- Liz Tigelaar, creator/executive producer Life Unexpected, writer/producer Brothers & Sisters,
- American Dreams, Once and Again, Once Upon a Time, Revenge
- Hilary Winston, writer/producer Happy Endings, Community, My Name is Earl
For a current list of this year’s Conference panelists click here.
The Teleplay Competition
AFF puts your script in front of the right people. Semifinalist and Finalist teleplays are evaluated directly by representatives from major television studios, producers, and showrunners (2012 judges to be announced soon). Advancing writers will also be included in the 2012 Producers Book which is distributed to more than 300 agents, production companies, and studios. Previous teleplay entrants have been staffed on shows such as The Finder, Justified, Gossip Girl, and Samantha Who?. What show will you get staffed on?
Screenplay and teleplay winners will be announced at the 2012 Austin Film Festival and Conference held October 18 – 25, 2012.
For more information, contact Matt Dy, Screenplay & Teleplay Competition Director at 1.800.310.3378 or email@example.com.